We no longer use chemical laden dryer sheets! I was so happy to learn about wool dryer balls as an alternative to dryer sheets. Wool dryer balls cut drying time and are reusable so you actually save money! You can also add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to each ball to help freshen your laundry.
Certain studies have shown that dryer sheet makers may use chemicals that are dangerous for people to ingest or inhale. One such study conducted by a University of Washington professor in 2007 showed that in a group of six scented laundry products and air fresheners, every one made use of chemicals typically considered toxic or hazardous but didn't include them on the label [source: Hickey].
In the book The Brain Wash, author Michelle Schoffro Cook discusses the most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the nervous system. They include:
• Alpha-terpineol: causes central nervous system disorders and can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression and headache.
• Benzyl alcohol: causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, nervous system depression and can cause death.
• Camphor, which is on the EPA’s hazardous waste list. It is a central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions.
• Chloroform, on the EPA’s hazardous waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
• Ethyl Acetate, also on the EPA’s hazardous waste list. May cause headaches and narcosis.
• Linalool: causes central nervous disorders. It is a narcotic.
• Pentane: causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and loss of consciousness.
Unfortunately, we are exposed to toxic chemicals every day but we can take small, inexpensive steps to reduce exposure to them. This is one easy way.
You can get wool dryer balls on Amazon for around $11/6 pack www.amazon.com/Dryer-Balls-Premium-Reusable-Softener/
You can learn more about and purchase essential oils here: http://www.ufloat.org/essential-oils.html