We no longer use chemical laden dryer sheets! I was so happy to learn about wool dryer balls as an alternative to dryer sheets. Wool dryer balls cut drying time and are reusable so you actually save money! You can also add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to each ball to help freshen your laundry.
Certain studies have shown that dryer sheet makers may use chemicals that are dangerous for people to ingest or inhale. One such study conducted by a University of Washington professor in 2007 showed that in a group of six scented laundry products and air fresheners, every one made use of chemicals typically considered toxic or hazardous but didn't include them on the label [source: Hickey].
In the book The Brain Wash, author Michelle Schoffro Cook discusses the most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the nervous system. They include:
• Alpha-terpineol: causes central nervous system disorders and can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression and headache.
• Benzyl alcohol: causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, nervous system depression and can cause death.
• Camphor, which is on the EPA’s hazardous waste list. It is a central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions.
• Chloroform, on the EPA’s hazardous waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
• Ethyl Acetate, also on the EPA’s hazardous waste list. May cause headaches and narcosis.
• Linalool: causes central nervous disorders. It is a narcotic.
• Pentane: causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and loss of consciousness.
Unfortunately, we are exposed to toxic chemicals every day but we can take small, inexpensive steps to reduce exposure to them. This is one easy way.
You can get wool dryer balls on Amazon for around $11/6 pack www.amazon.com/Dryer-Balls-Premium-Reusable-Softener/
You can learn more about and purchase essential oils here: http://www.ufloat.org/essential-oils.html
The 4th of July is fun and exciting for a lot of humans but for our furry friends, it can be a terrifying time. Our Chihuahua/Boston Terrier mix Millie is a very anxious dog and gets easily spooked by loud noises. I have been putting a drop of lavender on my palms and then petting her starting at her neck back towards her tail just to help ease her anxiety and calm her down. It has worked wonders for her and she is often sleeping within an hour or so of me putting it on her. We will be doing it for sure today as the fireworks ramp up. It makes her smell great too! Stress Away and Peace & Calming are two other oils that are suggested. If you would like to learn more about essential oils and/or purchase, please visit our link: www.ufloat.org/essential-oils.html
Happy 4th of July everyone! Stay safe and have fun!
I steam clean our carpets every couple of months it seems since we have 2 dogs whom we love with all our hearts (just ask Phil :) ) Thieves Household Cleaner (www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/thieves-household-cleaner) is a great product to use in place of shampoos you would normally use in your steam cleaner. Just place a capful or two in your water reservoir when you are filling it. I also like to add a couple of drops of Purification to mine (www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/purification-essential-oil) I have found too that it doesn't leave a residue on your carpets like shampoos can.
Thieves Household Cleaner is so versatile it can replace virtually all your cleaners and is concentrated so a little goes a long way. I use it my kitchen, bathroom and on my windows. It smells heavenly and you can rest assured that you cleaning with natural ingredients. To learn more or purchase visit our link: http://www.ufloat.org/essential-oils.html and as always if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!